5 Reasons to Celebrate: Paul deVere
Author: Meet the Press
1. He didn’t take the part he was offered in 1971 at the Kingston Mines Theater in Chicago. “Grease” somehow got along without him and he ended up on Hilton Head Island nine years later.
2. He created the Hilton Head Town motto: Praeservare et Prosperare (To Preserve and to Prosper). Check out the town’s trucks. The town’s seal is that big green thing on the door. At the time, he was the only writer on the island who knew Latin.
3. He is co-author of the best-selling golf instruction book for left-handers, “On the Other Hand” by PGA Master Professional Steve Anderson.
4. If he does not tell his wife he is going to play golf, it rains. If it’s a really great course, the National Hurricane Center ups the chances of a hurricane hitting close to that particular course by 50%.
5. Favorite book: Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury