Author: Maggie Washo | Photographer: Photography by Anne
It’s the little things…
It’s such a cliché to say, but it really is the smallest things in life that I am the most thankful for. I’ve always been a “glass is mostly full” kind of gal, but last month my sweet Lucy was having some health problems, and it rocked my world for a few weeks. It really takes someone getting sick or losing someone close to you to put everything in perspective—and I mean EVERYTHING.
Just turn on the news or read theSkimm for a few minutes every morning, and you’ll get some perspective on just how much we have to be thankful for here in the USA. It’s not perfect. We have our problems. But (knock on wood) we do not currently have ISIS conquering our cities one-by-one. Ebola may have made it to our soil, but as of now, our talented physicians are keeping it contained. Our news is generally still dominated by which celebrity got married or had nude photos stolen, so it can’t be that bad, right?
Make a list of all the things you have to be thankful for. I’m betting that most of you aren’t going to write down “my Lexus” or “my new waterfront mansion.”
Here’s my “thankful” list:
1. All of my friends and family are healthy and (generally) happy.
2. I have a job that inspires me to be better and work harder every day—even after eight years.
3. My sweet Lucy is feeling better this week. I’m especially thankful for pet insurance.
4. I saw two new birds at my work feeder this week, which means the cooler weather I adore will be here soon.
5. The young ladies I have the pleasure of working with every day are kind, driven and vibrant. They inspire me to be a better leader.
6. One of my best friends is having a baby (her first!) this month, and I’m so thankful I get to be a part of that little one’s life.
7. Lastly, I’m thankful for the opportunity to “just be.”