The Epic Food and Wine Lovers Festival
Author: JJ Gourley
If you consider yourself a foodie, plan to be in Savannah the week of November 10-16 for a must-see and taste culinary, wine and spirits event. Festival attendees will enjoy wine dinners and tastings, sample rare wines from around the world as well as a variety of spirits and Belgian beers, and delight in cooking demonstrations from local and award-winning celebrity chefs. Here are just a few of the favorite events:
• The Savannah Food & Wine Festival kicks-off on Monday, November 10 with the Bethesda Farm to Table Dinner, which will have a Georgia-grown flavor, featuring several Georgia-grown executive chefs.
• Gas South Savannah’s Connoisseur Wine Dinners will be expanded throughout the entire week of the festival.
• The Master Class Series at the Mansion begins on Tuesday, November 11 with celebrity chef cooking demos and wine tastings with master sommeliers.
• Celebrity Chef Tour, benefiting the James Beard Foundation, takes place on Wednesday, November 12 at 6 p.m. at the Mansion on Forsyth Park, featuring 4 James Beard Foundation award-winning or recognized chefs.
• The Big Green Egg Grand Reserve Tasting & Silent Auction takes place on Thursday, November 13 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., along the majestic Riverfront Esplanade of the Westin Savannah. Taste the festival’s most extraordinary wines sampled in a souvenir glass, 90 points plus wines, with retail average values of $50+ per bottle.
• Le Grand Cochon, presented by The Local Palate magazine, will be a fun and lively heritage hog roasting and barbecue, taking place at the Westin on Thursday, November 13.
• Epicurean Learning Experiences, presented by Sysco and Rioja Wines, USA on Friday, November 14, feature cooking classes, Big Green Egg Grilling Gurus, wine, spirits and Stella Artois learning/tasting experiences with celebrity chefs, Master Sommeliers and much more.
• The River Street Stroll on Friday, November 14 takes place from 5:30 – 7:30 on Rousakis Plaza on magical River Street. Enjoy sipping and strolling with a souvenir GoVino glass at the festival’s most casual wine, spirits and Belgian beer tasting.
• The Candlelight Home Tour is a Historic Savannah Foundation home tour through the historic Warren and Washington Wards of Savannah. The Olde World Wine & Dine Experience takes place at The Brice, a Kimpton Hotel, on Friday, November 14.
• Riverboat Wine & Dinner Cruise, Friday, November 14, 8 p.m. Join guest celebrity chefs, Shaun Doty, Bantam & Biddy and Chick-a-Biddy, Atlanta, Ga. and Billy Allin, Cakes & Ale, Decatur, Ga.
• Taste of Savannah, Saturday, November 15, 1 – 5 p.m., with early access at noon for VIP Lounge ticket holders, Ellis and Johnson Squares—the most impressive Savannah wine and food event of the festival! Enjoy great Savannah food from some of the best spots in town, hundreds of free wines, spirits and Belgium beers with unlimited tastings in a souvenir GoVino glass and five free food tokens. Enjoy a variety of cooking demonstrations and learning experiences, the Artisan Market, Celebrity Authors’ Tent, Bartenders’ Challenge, Waiters’ Race, Silent Auction and more.
• Winery Cellar Dinner, Saturday, November 15, 7:30 p.m. at the Westin Savannah; Food Network and James Beard Foundation recognized celebrity chefs include Anthony Lamas, Seviche, Louisville, Ky. and Aaron Deal, The River and Rail Restaurant, Roanoke, Va.
• Jazz & Bubbles Brunch, Sunday, November 16, 12:30-3:30 p.m. at the Westin Savannah is the perfect finale to an outstanding week!
For tickets and the most up to date information (schedule subject to change), visit SavannahFoodAndWineFestival.com.